Thursday 5 January 2012

His Eye Is On The Sparrow

I know some of you that follow my blog are not on Facebook (which really is a tragedy) but that's an entirely different subject all together.  I LOVE Facebook.  That's all I'm gonna say.

So, anyhow, here is one of my recent Facebook Posts:

Most days I see the "silver lining" ... try not to complain, find the good (or at least the humor) in my current situation but today I crumbled. Emotionally drained today. I think my exact words to my husband were, "Today, I hate it. I hate it all!" Sigh. Not one of my brighter moments. BUT!!! I'll bet ya my bottom dollar that the sun will come up tomorrow. Chin up. I'm fine. Sometimes ya just have "one of those days" ya know?!


Luckily, currently, as in right now at this very moment, I'm feeling a lot happier then I was when I posted that message.  Kinda makes me think of a story in the Bible.  Maybe you are familiar with it?  The Story of Peter Walking on the Water?!  You can find the story in the Bible in Matthew 14:22-33 but here is the Jenny from the B'Block version (seriously, make sure you read the REAL version and not just mine b/c I'll probably mess it up!) 

Peter was part of an exclusive group of 12 men that followed Jesus everywhere.  In this particular story Peter is out in a boat with the other 12 disciples when a terrible storm comes over the sea.  (I'm thinking Deadliest Catch kinda stormy seas!!)    The disciples are afraid for their lives but they are also afraid b/c they think they see a ghost out on the water!!  "ACK!  Come on!  Guys!  Who believes in ghosts?!  You should know better than to let your mind run away like that!"  Well, then...what was this ghost?!  It was Jesus!  He is afterall God's son - So rather than hopping in a boat to catch up with the disciples well, He just decides He'll just walk across the sea to meet up with His 12 friends. 

Jesus calls out to them in his "Don't Worry - Be Happy" voice,  "Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid!"  Now.  I'm not really sure if Peter was just your average over achiever.  Maybe a bit of a loud mouth?  You know that "Hey Look at Me-Show-Offy type?  Or maybe he was legitimately true of heart and I've mistaken his, "Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water."  I picture Peter trying to make a good impression on his "boss" and looking around at all the other shmucks in the boat and thinking, "You sissies!  I'm not afraid!  Watch this!"  Meanwhile, Jesus simply beckons Peter to "Come". 

I'd be one of the sceptical-fraidy-cat men on boat saying to Peter, "Zoinks, Man!  I-I-I-i-i-i-it's a Ghost!  Don't do it!  Don't leave the boat!"  But not Peter.  He literally stepped out of the boat, out into the tumultuous raging waters of the sea to walk to Jesus.   I'm not exactly sure what went through Peter's mind and I may have him pegged completely wrong.  Could he have been a thrill junkie?  You know, one of those crazy adrenaline hounds that is always looking for their next big "high".  Of Jesus' 12 disciples - Maybe Peter was the Bear Grylls of the group?!  Always up for an adventure?  I mean this might have been the adventure of a lifetime - A fishing trip that turned into a supernatural Ghost sighting and now the offer to WALK on water?!  Peter was probably looking around that boat thinking, "DUDES! What did we pay for this tour anyhow?!  This is amazing!!  Did you just hear Him?  He said I can walk on the WATER!!  Forget that....CANNONBALL!!!

Okay.  Told you that you better read the real version b/c I just got slightly derailed...Back to the real version.  The Bible doesn't mention cannonballs or any crazy water entrance just simply that Peter exited the boat to walk out to Jesus.  Wow!  That's amazing faith, huh?!  I wonder how far he got?  The Bible does say that when he (Peter) noticed his surroundings he was afraid and he began to sink!  He held out his hand to Jesus and He saved him.  The Bible doesn't say how they got back to the boat just that when they were inside the ship the storm stopped.  Amazing.

So, why have I brought up this story from the Bible?  Well, because I feel like I've had a very "Peter" week.  One of my friends, Helen, stated it very well this week when she wrote that India is a "very colorful, crazy, curious and chaotic country."  In all honesty, sometimes it can all be a bit overwhelming, daunting and frustrating.  This week....I really had to fight off discouragement with the 'ole one-two punch.

Just like Peter though I am realising - If I focus in on my current surroundings (For Peter it was the stormy sea, for me, it is My India) there are times when I feel it...I'm sinking.  Nay, even drowning, perhaps!!  But then, if I stop thrashing around - I realize, He's there.  Calm.  Steady.  My Saviour.  Just waiting for me to "KNOCK IT OFF!" so He can rescue me.   He's right here with me.  He always is it's just a matter of whether I'm allowing Him to work through me or if I'm just trying to accomplish everything on my own (very BAD idea!) but I do it time and time again.  Through good days and bad days...my feelings and emotions change by the minute.  Not My Jesus.  He's a fortress.  Steady.  Unchanging.  PHEW!!  What a relief!

Back in the day, Whoopie Goldberg starred in a movie called Sister Act 2 and at the time there was a relatively unknown young actress/singer named, Lauryn Hill that blew my mind.  She along with Tanya Blount sing one of my favourite songs of all time!  An old hymn called, "His Eye Is On The Sparrow"  Powerful and amazing song.  It puts my mind in the "right" place.  Total Goose Bumps!!  Man!!!  This song touches my heart every SINGLE time to think that yes, He sees and watches over even the tiny little sparrow and how much greater His love and care is for ME....for YOU!



Thank You God for your care.  Your protection.  Being unwavering when I'm an emotional disaster.  Thank you that tomorrow is a new day and that by your grace - It'll be a GREAT day!
 









3 comments:

  1. Jenny, great blog - love the songs, love to be quoted - having a bit of a "back in B'lore blues" day - and I always hate it when the brats go back to school and hubby back to work, after I've had them home for a couple of weeks- u made me smile!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post. I happen to like your version! This song also has a lot of meaning for me and became part of my new business name...yet to be announced. :) - Joscelyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw....Jen! I cannot even imagine all the stuff you are going through these last couple of months.

    We all have those "rough" days and you really do have a cheerful outlook on life! Jake and I always joke that it is normal to have a down day and pray that we don't have one of those days at the same time because it is good to have someone to remind us know it will be ok.

    Thanks for sharing, love the story of Peter. Praying for you guys. Facebook is a wonderful tool for keeping in contact with a lot of family and friends which having that extra connection is helpful on both ends. Hang in there. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete