Thursday 8 March 2012

Holi Holiday!

I have not been a very faithful blogger lately. :/  I will catch up eventually - Or at least that's what I keep telling myself.  :0)  We just had a wonderful week with Matt's parents.  Separate blog on our adventures with them to follow.....

BUT!  Before this crazy, colorful day comes to a close (MAN!  I love alliteration!) I want to share with you the spirit of the Holi Holiday here in India.  The children got the day off of school and well - We enjoyed it to the fullest. 

Erica has deemed Holi (Not Holly.  Holy.) as her FAVORITE Indian holiday and she thinks it should be celebrated at least THREE times a year instead of only once! ;0)  In short, Holi is a Hindu Holiday celebrating Spring.  Holi is very appropriately translated as a festival of color!

Today we gathered with a few friends and had a Holi WAR ;0)  A COLOR war, that is!


Got them to stand still long enough to take a "Before" Picture
(Although you can see Erica & David already have pink paint powder on them as one of the bags exploded before we had officially begun!!)
And so the madness begins....

Good thing Rachel borrowed some of my "J.Lo" glasses b/c this was only about 30 seconds into it and she totally got blasted in the EYEBALLS! ;0)

Holy Holi!  This is CRAZY!!

Poof of Paint Powder

A little live footage

Refilling their ammo

I guess you can't exactly call it "good clean fun" but it was REALLY fun!

Mirja warning me, "Go put down your camera.  I'm warning you.  You've got five seconds and them I'm blasting you with this stuff!"  AND...she DID! ;0)

Too bad the Mommies didn't have ANY fun ;0)

I'm sooooo glad that Vanessa and Mirja came with their crew of kids and very kindly gave me the once over and said, "Is that what you are wearing for Holi?!"  And with that I was promptly sent inside to put on my trashy duds.  I told them, "I just thought I'd take pictures?!" and Mirja in her Finnish accent said, "NOOOO!"  That's soooo boring!"  I'm so happy that they didn't let me be "Boring" and that I joined in on the spirit of Holi & became one with the COLOR!!!   :0)  And as you can see we really didn't suffer in the picture department - We still got SEVERAL great shots!

Starting to run out of paint.

Rach & Joona, "HAPPY HOLI, PEOPLE!!!!!"

David asking Mirja, "Can you fill the bucket with more water?!"

The Prismatic Princess

Kaleidoscopic Keeka


Multi-Colored Mikey!


Dastardly Dave!

Rainbow-Rambo Arttu!?!

Rainbow Brite's got nothin' on my girl, Erica! 
Check out that hair!!

"AFTER!"
The Mommas
 
Happy to report there were no casualties of this war!
We all survived with laughter and smiles! :0)

Already looking forward to next year...or if Erica has her way - We'll start celebrating Holi at least once every quarter ;0)

No comments:

Post a Comment