Tuesday 16 October 2012

Jaipur Journey

Good Grief!  I know that I'm ridiculously "back blogged" at this point but what I didn't realize is that I am over FOUR months behind!  I just realized I missed blogging about a HUGE day that I spent in Jaipur last June with my friends, Katie, Jack & Cara.  So if you don't mind we are going to go "Back in Time"  (not Pitbull style....Just Jen Weimann style!)


Palace of the Winds - Jaipur, Rajasthan
953 windows line the five story exterior of this palace.  The windows are decorated with intricate lattice work.  When the palace was built the lattice work allowed the royal ladies to be able to look down into the street to watch what the people were doing without being seen.  The royal women had to maintain strict "purdah" (face cover) & this palace allowed them to see things without being seen!
WHOA!  Watch out!  Camel Crossing!
(Imagine adding this to your morning commute?!)
Amber Fort & Palace
I didn't start my morning with a Dunkin' Donuts but I DID start my day with a little random snake charming!  ACK!  CRAZINESS!
"Sally the Camel has five humps - So ride Sally ride - Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom"  Anybody remember that song or is it just me and Barney that recall that one!?
  Riding like a Maharaja up to the entrance of The Fort
LOVE it!!
The View from Dumbo
Climbing up, Up, UP the palace wall.
Elephants entering the palace walls


Gorgeous!
Thirsty!?  Help yourself!
Not sure if they call it a "water fountain" or a "bubbler" but either way - This is the Indian equivalent!
"Katie!  Are you crazy?!"  "No, I'm just posin"  Hahaaha!
Say, "Cheese!" 
I thought it was so cool they all wanted to be in a picture with me.  As soon as we snapped the photo they all stuck out their hand for "payment" for me being in a picture with THEM!  Heheheh!  It's all good for a few rupees they were happy and I have this lovely picture of me with a bunch of beautiful women in their saris!
 The queen's window!
After we left the Amber Fort we made a short stop to see how they make Indian rugs and block printed fabrics.

Block Printing Demonstration
Rug Weaving

Rug Trimming

Rug Burning
Rug Brushing
Rug Washing
Rug Admiring!
Rug Buying
 (well, at least that's what they wanted you to do!)

The Lake Palace
Pool?!
As we pulled up to snap a couple pictures of the lake palace we spotted this little "pool".  I'm not actually sure what it's official purpose was but two little boys had stripped down to their birthday suits and were swimming in it.  When we were arrived they were being scolded and shooed away from the area.  I was two seconds too slow to get a picture of them swimming but I did manage to get this shot of one of the guilty cutie patooties on the run!......
Seriously!  Look at that Happy Little Hiney!  Adorable!!

We finished our day off back at the hotel will a little swimming of our own (no, not in our birthday suits!)  In the evening we enjoyed our last dinner together and Cara, Katie & I got to dance with the fancy
ladies at the hotel! :0)
We did not join them in the "fire" dances
We did however partake in some fun circle dancing and stick smacking! :0)
Such a great trip and so many good memories!  Can't wait to go back with Matt and the kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment