Sunday 18 November 2012

When you fall at school....

Wee-ooo-Wee-ooo-Wee-ooo!!!  (In case you are wondering that is the sound an ambulance makes in written form!)  SO!  This week I got a call from the school infirmary that went something like this, "Hi.  Miss Jeany-fur?  This is Miss Smita calling from the infirmary at the Indus International School.  I have Rachel here with me."......Okay everybody pause here for a second because I don't know if you are like me but whenever the school calls....infirmary...class room teacher... teacher's assistant... I ALWAYS assume the worst and before I even pick up the phone I am having a mini-panic-attack!  So, as you can imagine, my heart had already begun its uneven & accelerated "FREAKING OUT" heartbeat and my ears were throbbing and turning fire engine red, my throat became parched as I braced myself for the news of what had happened to Rachel....

Unfortunately, because my brain was racing around in a million different directions all at the same time I was only partially listening to the sweet sounding voice on the other end of the phone.  So I am not entirely sure if she said that "Rachel fell down the stairs."  "Rachel jumped down the stairs."  "Rachel was playing and fell down the stairs."  All I remember is her saying SOMETHING about falling.  Stairs.  Crying.  Ice.  Pain Spray.  And then I tuned back in when she finished relaying the news by telling me that "Rachel is very upset.  Too much of paining, Ma'am.  Can you please come get Rachel?" 

They put her on the phone & she was crying.  Still couldn't figure out what happened through her crying voice but understood the "It really hurts Mom!"  "Please can you come get me!?"  So!  Of course I said, "YES!" however, in India that is easier said than done.  I was over an hour from the school and had no idea how long it would take Claudius to get me there but I told her to "Be brave!  I will be there as quickly as I can!"

About two hours later I showed up at the school and had my first visit to the infirmary.  Standard school infirmary.  Exactly what you'd expect.  Several cots in a room.  Two occupied with what appeared to be two high school girls that were more "sick of school" than "actually ill".  They looked like they were having a lovely chat when I walked in to gather up Rachel.  She was lying on one of the said cots with her ankle wrapped in a pink bandage.  She was so happy to see me!  She nearly lept off the cot.  Good thing she didn't ....  I mean with that "hurt" ankle and all.  Okay.  Pardon me here.  Another pause in the story.  SO!  If any of you have daughters that tend to fall into the "A Bit Dramatic" category you will appreciate this whole scene.  I am SURE that Rachel DID hurt herself and there is no doubt in my mind that she really was in PAIN.  However, she also could score an Oscar for her ongoing daily theatrics.  She's really quite amazing AND you get the same quality of acting for something as minimal as a splinter as you would for a lost eyeball!

Okay.  Back to where we left off.  So!  I could tell immediately from Rachel's facial expression that ALL was going to be fine but I did just drive nearly TWO hours to reach her so I decided to go along with the "she NEEDS to go home" thing.  She hobbled on one foot to reach her shoes that were resting under another cot in the front room and Ms. Smita told her, "Slow down, Rachel!  I don't want you to fall again."  (Seriously!  She was so sweet and sympathetic....If I was Rachel, I would go to the infirmary just to spend time with the kind infirmary staff!)

Anyhow, after she managed putting on her shoe.  Yes, just ONE shoe b/c OF COURSE the other foot was all wrapped up & no way was a shoe going to fit over that sucker!  I offered her my arm to help keep her steady and Ms. Smita helped her down the ramp and out the front door.  Rachel and I started off down the sidewalk together.  "Slow and Steady" I told her & that's when Miss Smita yelled out, "No!  Wait!"  I will call the ambulance for you!  I quickly jerked my head to the left & to the right to see who was in need of emergency care!?!?!  Hmmm.  Funny.  I didn't see anyone.  Nobody was around.  Just me and Rachel!?  Miss Smita ran to catch up with us and said, "Wait here.  I will send the ambulance to drive you to your car!"  :0)  Oh my GOOOOOODNESS!  SERIOUSLY!?!?!  You gotta know that Little Miss Rachel was over the moon about such kindness & genuine concern over her injury.  We waited on the sidewalk & in a millisecond - A gentlemen showed up.  Keys jangling & he ushered us to the ambulance that was parked at the end of the sidewalk.  Well, don't you know,  This sort of thing doesn't happen everyday so you know me - I pulled out my camera & caught the scene in action!

She hopped from the ambulance into the car & Claudius had a look of horror on his face!  I gave him the ole "wink wink face" and said, "I think she's gonna make it Claudius" & that put him at ease.  By the time we reached home she was asking if she could go swimming but mentioned she wouldn't be able to peddle her bike with her bad ankle.  ;0)  Oh Rachy, Rachy, Rachy!!!  What would I do without you!

What an adventure!  What a day!

**DISCLAIMER**
So as not to have you think I didn't appreciate the school & their cautious ways, I actually DID and would much rather have them operate on a "better safe than sorry" policy then to be careless when indeed there could have been something seriously wrong, right?!  It's a good school with good people & I'm very happy my children are under such watchful care.
**RACHEL UPDATE**
Ankle is fine.  Possible sprain but she's back in the saddle (or should I say back to bike riding!) All is well!
Wee-ooo-Wee-ooo! ;0)
Can you see the "injured" one in the back?!
Smiling Through The Pain :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment