Tuesday 18 December 2012

Grabbing a quick bite to eat....

"You've got to be kidding me!?" " What was I thinking?"  "Sha-Right!!"   "You can't be serious!?"   These were all thoughts that were racing through my head as Michael and I ran into our local KFC restaurant today.  I thought, "We'll just grab a quick bite to eat."  Yeah.  Right.  NOTHING happens quickly in India.  No joke.  We ordered popcorn chicken and some sort of chicken strips.  Truthfully, they were not bad.  Much MUCH spicier then their American look-alike but not bad & the children have really learned to adapt and go with the "spice" of things so that doesn't bother them either.

What DID become a bother was waiting in line for our food for over 20 minutes.  Oh, I wish I were kidding and this visit to KFC also reminded me why we NEVER eat at fast food chains here.  They are NOT fast, the food is not good, it's nothing like home and lastly, unlike home where it is convenient to grab fast food on the "fly" here in India that couldn't be further from the truth.  There is no drive-thru window where you just yap into the speaker what you would like to eat, you always have to go inside of the eating establishment to order.  Wait in ridiculous long lines and did I mention....they are NOT fast! ;0)  Not the taking of your order.  Not the processing of your payment.  Not the making of your food.  From start to finish.....Slow, SLOW, S L O W!! Yep!  Which is okay.  I know this and I should have known better than to take poor little hungry and tired Michael into KFC with me thinking, "We'll just grab something real quick like".  It was not one of my finer moments that I have had here in India when in desparation I asked the lady that had taken our order, "Where is our food?!"  She replied, "Four minutes."  "WHAT!?  You told me it would take Five minutes and that was 10 minutes ago."  "Yes, Ma'am.  Four minutes."  "I just don't understand!?!  How long does it take to fry chicken for Heaven's sake?!  You throw it in a vat of oil and it is done in a FLASH!"  "Four minutes, Ma'am."  At this point I put my feather's down and realized - It doesn't do any good to get upset.  It won't cook my chicken any faster.  This is just how things work here.  SLOWLY!!!  And then I also thought to myself, "JEN!  Do you realize you are turning into a crazy person bc you want your KFC chicken!?  Who wants KFC that badly!?!?"  Arghhh...Ashamed! ;0)

Luckily, with so much time spent waiting, I was able to become completely educated in the "Indian School of Lickonomics!"  ;0)
 
We had been shopping all morning and I thought it seemed like a good idea at the time.  By the time we finally got some food to eat - Michael was holding back tears.  He was so frustrated.  Couldn't understand what took so long and he was sooooo hungry! 
Not crying yet but pretty darn close!
Curry Crunch, Anyone!?

No comments:

Post a Comment