Friday 30 December 2011

Indus Sports Day

Hey Everybody!  You're going to have to be patient with me.  I keep telling Matt that I am "back blogged" b/c I'm so far behind in the things I want to blog about.  Get it....back blogged!?!?  I think I'm soooo funny.  I don't think he's laughed at my joke once.  I keep repeating it thinking..."He probably just doesn't 'get it'?!!"  Hahaha!  Anyhoo!  I have so many things I still want to blog about so I hope you don't mind coming along for the "slow and steady" ride. 

One of my favourite days leading up to Christmas vacation was an event that was held at the kids school called "Sports Day."  They literally had been practising for the days events for well over a month.  There were races held in the spirit of "we are all winners in the race of life....there will be hurdles you all have to conquer"....blah blah blah.  I started to tune it out real quick because although it's a good sentiment and all who are we kidding....we know what it's really all about, now don't we!?!?  WINNING!  Hahaha!  The school has placed each child into a "house" and all of the "houses" come together to compete in the big "Sports Day Event".  Prior to Sports Day the children have competed in initial "heats" as they call them.  So only the best of the best actually compete on Sports Day.  None of the Weimann made it past the initial "heat" rounds (SHOCKING! isn't it!?) but we are already conditioning and practising our track and field skills because next year - WE WILL BE UNSTOPPABLE!!!!  ;0)  All of our kids are part of the Hercules House and their house colors are BLUE!  I think I should start shopping for blue hair color and face paint for next year!  Skill and talent is only 1/2 of it - The other 1/2 of it will be made up for with sheer spirit, crazy determination and manic motivation! ;0)

Mel, you shall be our fashionable inspiration for the Hercules House next year!  GOOOO BLUE!!!

David is in the youngest class at the Indus International School.  He and his fellow classmates kicked off the day of games by marching out onto the field with mini-flags in their hands from all the countries of the world.
 David holding his flags while they all line up for their presentation.



David on the far right

They swayed their little flags in time with the music of Michael Jackson doing "We Are The World".  GOOD SONG, might I add! 

David proud to be playing a role in the days events!

Time to watch the big kids do their part!

As the morning moved along the "acts" just got more and more complex and choreographed.  I mean David's class was adorable but they didn't work them too hard.  All they had to do was wave their cute little flags. ;0)

Rachel joined in a special group of primarily 5th and 6th graders doing a synchronised yoga demonstration.  There was a lead little girl that would bark out, "SWITCH" and on command the entire group of probably 50 children would switch to their next yoga position. 


Love that my Piggytail Princess in the back row wasn't too proud to peak out into the crowd and find her Momma! :)


Laying on their bellies - One foot reaching towards the Heavens.

These are some seriously malleable munchkins!!  I am the most inflexible person in the free world and I have no idea where Rachel has gotten her bendable abilities!?  It's a mystery!

Some sort of modified bridge-esque, human tripod yoga move!?

All together now...bottom's UP!  .... AND....
S W I T C H!!!!

Human Eggs?!
Can you tell I don't do yoga!?  I'm sure there are "real" names for all of these poses but I have no idea what they are!



Walking off the field...Full of pride and a sense of accomplishment!

From there all of the PYP children (Primary Years Program) gathered on the field to get into their groups and prepare to do their dance.  In my opinion - This whole process was very "Indian".  If you have ever seen any Indian Bollywood movies or watch them dance - It is ALWAYS synchronised!!  Very country line-dance-ish b/c everyone is doing the same thing.


Here's a 20 second snapshot so you get the idea!

Complete with JAZZ hands!
WOO-HOO!!

If I can figure out how to get the video off my cell phone I will upload that later.  It's giving me all kinds of trouble but the kids started out with a random song I didn't know and then it went into Britney Spears, "Hit Me Baby One More Time".  I'm tellin' ya.  It really was the COOLEST thing.  It was amazing to see all of these kids come together as a team and create a really incredible show!

 
You can see all of the various house colors represented in this photo.  This specific group of children are working together to move these long glittery poles in time with the music.

After they finished their Britney song they all ran off the field and it was time for the games to begin.  They called out the names and age group of which children would be competing against each other.  While the older children did this - David's class participated in some games of their own.

 David and some of his classmates getting ready to race.


Run, David, Run!!


Aw Shucks!  Don't that just warm the cockles of a Mom's heart!?  Mid-stride he's catchin' his Momma's eye. 
LOVE THAT KID!

Starting to get a Wittle-Bit Sweeeeppyy....zzzzz

So proud!


Medals for ALL!!  Even the Mommy!

Managed to find 3 out of the 4 in the midst of the madness!

What a fun-filled day!  I am already looking forward to next year and in case I never get the videos off my cell phone....next year I will make sure to bring my camera so that you can all witness the mass choreography first hand! :)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great event! Rachel must be very flexible! Glad the kids had a blast participating! :)

    ReplyDelete