Friday 4 May 2012

Indus Day 2012

Matt's cousin, Jake, and his wife, Bridgette, are here visiting with us from SC and we are dragging them along to the kid production of the century.....dadadadahhhh!  INDUS DAY!!  Woo-Hoo!   This will be our first time too and from the sounds of the kids practicing around the house we are in for a BIG treat!

Upon arrival to the school we were greeted by an open-air art exhibit.  Here we were able to view various forms of drawings, paintings and the like that are hung up for all to see.  We mulled around looking through all of the children's work.  Of course, they had the exhibits starting from the youngest grade at Indus up to the oldest so naturally we stumbled upon David's class exhibit first.

Maneesh, from David's class, made this lovely drawing of house!
Aw!  How cute is Adiya's work!?  ....Must keep searching for David's - It must be around here somewhere?!....

David's little buddy, Gyu-Min, painted this amazing water-color of trains.

I kept looking and looking and then....I found it!  My David's art work!  I couldn't believe it!  WOW!  My son....did this!?!?!  I mean you have moments on your parenting journey when things can just leave you speechless...this was one of those times.  I mean, I guess I shouldn't have been entirely surprised b/c Matt's Mom is really artistic and so is my Mom so it probably runs in the genes?!  I don't want to be one of those obnoxious "Look What My Kid Did" kind of parents but just this once I'm going to break those rules b/c I mean...You've got to see it for yourself.....The Kid turned FIVE in November!
I know, right!?  Speechless!  Okay.  Maybe one word comes to mind....I think they call it "gifted"!?!?!  ;0)
WAY TO GO, DAVID!!!
Aw!  My Little Shining Star!
Mikey's Masterpiece
Expressive Erica
The Cutest Koala...ever! ;0)  by Rachel
The Stage
I was able to snap a few pictures of the kids and some of their friends before the evening got underway. 
 Some of the ballerinas
AND!!  Our friend, Jacob...The Handsome "Ballerino!!"


Jacob rocked the stage and was the only boy in the ballet.
Guaranteed there will come a time when all the other little boys in Jacob's class realize just how BRILLIANT Jacob is!  Instead of running around a soccer field with a bunch of sweaty boys during sports hour, Jacob chose ballet as his sport.  How clever is that?!  He gets to hang with all the women folk and impress them with his ultra SMOOTH dance moves!   I think he is WISE beyond his years!  Well done, Jacob!

Erica and one of her super special friends, Lara.

Erica all decked out in her costume.  She will be
dancing to the Gypsy Kings song,
Baila Me.
The Dancing Queen

Rachel is going to be a "wind dancer" in her class performance.
A quick "Cheese" for your Mom, please!?

Rachel and more Wind Dancers
Rose, Lara & Erica
Rachel and two of her bff's - Sofie & Gabi
Starting out the night with a traditional Indian dance
They started with David's class since they are the youngest group of children that attend Indus.  David was featured in a "silent movie" that was shown on the big screen but that was kind of his big "debut" for the night b/c when it came time for the actual "live" performance- His big shining moment....Well, he didn't really have one. :/  Apparently, being chosen as one of the actors for the movie was his time in the "spotlight."  So, he sat on the side of the stage and held a sign that read, "Respect". 
Dog-gone-it-though, he was the CUTEST sign holder on that stage ;0)
Holding His Sign


 David's classmates dancing
My favorite act of the night was the first graders and I have to be somewhat un-biased b/c I had FOUR kids performing.  (Let me interject QUICKLY before the other three have hurt feelings that they ALL did great!!!!)  But Michael and all the other first graders did their song/dance about the Biblical story of Noah and the Ark.  It was GREAT!  I think it was the combination of the familiar story that I remember loving to listen to as a child and the music that they danced to was SOOOO CATCHY!!!  It was in Hebrew so I have no idea what they are saying but I was about as close as I've ever come to sneaking onto a stage and joining a production!

Our friend, Elise, played Noah's wife.
Michael's friend, Wills, as Noah.
Michael was one of the animals in Noah's ark.  A panda bear!  Awwww!  Of COURSE, there were two of them b/c if you know anything about this story,  God told Noah to put TWO of every kind of animal onto the Ark. 
 Michael and his animal friends, shakin' it all the
way into the Ark!
He starts out in the back row but WAIT FOR IT - He eventually gets to do a little shimmy and a slide into the front row for his big moment in the spotlight!  Okay and as a sidenote - Check out the peacock costumes!  LOVE the tail feathers! 
Oh Boy!  Here comes the rain (and see my Panda peeking his little head out from the front of the boat!?)

To top it all off there was a singing "Rainbow" choir.  I KNOW!!  Seriously! I would like to tip my hat to the creative director at Indus b/c this production was RIDICULOUS cute!  They finished it off with one my my childhood favorite songs:  Rise and Shine or also commonly referred to as the Arky Arky song.  I don't know who wrote the song but check out the lyrics below as well as the video of the Indus first graders singing this oldy but goodie.  So adorable!

Yahweh told Noah there’s gonna be a floody, floody
Yahweh told Noah there’s gonna be a floody, floody
Get those animals out of the muddy, muddy
Children of The Lord             

Yahweh to Noah you better build an arky, arky
Yahweh told Noah you better build an arky, arky
Build it out of gopher barky, barky
Children of The Lord             
Chorus:
So rise and shine and give God the glory, glory
Rise and shine and give God the glory, glory
Rise and shine and give God the glory, glory
Children of The Lord

The animals, the animals they came in by twosies, twosies
Animals, the animals they came in by twosies, twosies
Elephants and kagaroosies, roosies,
Children of The Lord             

It rained and poured for forty long daysies, daysies
Rained and poured for forty long daysies, daysies
Almost drove those animals crazies, crazies
Children of The Lord
Chorus

The sun came out and dried up the landy, landy
The sun came out and dried up the landy, landy
Everything was fine and dandy, dandy
Children of the Lord!  

That is the end of the end of our story-story
That is the end of the end of our story-story
Everything was hunky-dorey dorey!
Children of the Lord!
            Arky Arky!  LIVE!!!

Taking a wave and a bow!
One Proud Little Panda!
Next on deck for their big performance was Erica.  She's been dancing the flamenco all over the house...literally, for MONTHS!  When the moment came for her to boldly take the stage...she didn't!  Haha!  She completely freaked out, panicked and bailed on the performance.  Her teacher called me while I was sitting in the audience and in a frantic and tense voice she said, "Erica is refusing to go on stage!  TALK TO HER!"  By the time I finished my "You can do it!!!!" speech, it was too late they were already pouring onto the stage and she had missed her chance.  Poor thing.  I felt so bad.  She cried and cried into my shoulder afterwards.  "I'm so sorry, Mom!  I just couldn't do it.  I was shaking all over...." I tried to tell her that all of that nervous energy was what helps you perform AMAZINGLY.  Hopefully, she'll get back on the "horse" so to speak and go for it NEXT year.

Last, but certainly not least was the fourth grade performance.  Honestly,  I couldn't even tell you what their story was about.  I know it had an "Asian" flare but I was running all over the Indus Campus like a mad woman trying to find Erica.  So, I made sure I saw all of the points that Rachel was involved in but the actual "story comprehension"...let's put it this way if there was a "quiz" afterwards I would have gotten a big, fat, lousy "F".

There she is... My little "Windy Dancer"  YAY!!  RACHEL!

Rachel and her fellow Wind Dancers
All of the kids and their teachers hard work was so evident in this LONG but rewarding night.  The costumes and props were first rate and I can't wait to see what they all do next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment