Tuesday 4 October 2011

Home Sweet Bangalore Home

This post is specifically for my friend, Camryn!  Although others have asked to see the house, Camryn is to my knowledge my youngest blog reader & so I am dedicating this post to her!  YAY CAM!!!
Camryn would like to see pictures of our house so she can envision where Rachel, Erica, Michael & David are living these days & maybe some of the rest of you would like to see our new ghar too (Hindi word for house!)
Welcome to our Street! This is where we will be for the next three years!  Goodbye snow!  Hello Palms!! 

This is the front of our house!  We live at the end of a culdesac & the kids ride their bikes & scooters up & down the street all the time.








This is the left side of the house.  The window on the left is the kids playroom.  The doors lead to the living room area.  The kids LOVE to jump on the trampoline but we are still waiting on the security mesh that goes around the outside.
One of the things I am thoroughly enjoying in India is the laundry!  NO KIDDING!  I know that will be shocking news for my fellow laundry despising friends from home.  In the US, I always had
Mt. Washmore waiting for me in my laundry room.  In fact, one of my girlfriends and I hated our laundry situations so much that our motto ended up being, "Laundry today or naked tomorrow!"  Honestly, I think it's some sort of Indian Miracle how much I've come to enjoy the whole laundry process here.  I have a washer/drier combination machine.  You throw your clothes into the machine it washes them and then when it is done it automatically dries them.  It's an LG.  I wonder if you can get them in the US?  Soon enough, I suppose!?  Anyhow.  The only downside is that the washing machines here are so small.  The door opening looks like a porthole & the drying time (like everything else in India) takes forever!  SOOOOOO!  What do we do?  We hang our laundry out to dry.  Everybody does.  The days here are sunny and breezy so everything dries in a flash.  I can't tell you how much I love seeing laundry hanging out to dry throughout our neighborhood & the surrounding towns.  It's like a rainbow splash of color!  Everywhere you turn there are swatches of color in every shape & size.  Is that weird?!  I don't know why.  I just like it!  It truly is a miracle because I thought we were going to have to hire a full time person to babysit the washing machine and whenever it stopped running they would throw in the next load.  Surprisingly, we are managing just fine!  The laundry is all getting done and it's flowin' in the breeze and I'm lovin' it ;0)


Yay for line dried laundry!


Our Driveway

Silly side story, see the water sprinkler irrigation stick on the right hand side.  Poking out of the ground next to that tree?  The first time that sprinkler came on, Erica came running inside begging to run through the sprinkler.  I wasn't real keen on the idea (is it parasite plagued?!) so I told her to go ask her Dad.  Of course, he said, "Sure, why not?!"  (I guess that's why God gave her two parents b/c this one would have said, "Nope!")  Anyhooo, she went upstairs and put on her "swimming costume" as they call a bathing suit here and came bounding down the stairs, flung open the front door and at that very moment....The sprinklers turned OFF.  YAY!  There is a God and He's watching out for my kids! :0)  She's never asked to run through the sprinkler again since.  Maybe she's worried she'll get all dressed up in her "costume" again only to have a big let down?!  Whatever the reason - I'm glad I haven't had any other requests for sprinkler time.  (It's probably fine but you know us Mom's we tend to be the worried/concerned types or is that just me?!)

Right Side of the House

I would show you some inside pictures but there's not a whole lot to see.  We are living on Love!  Sleeping on air mattresses  and eating off paper plates; however, we got confirmation TODAY that our stuff is OFF the ship and at the port in Chennai.  Supposedly, another 7-10 days and our stuff will arrive in Bangalore.  Given the timing track record we've had since we arrived...I'd say if we have our stuff by Halloween we'll be doing good!

Now that you've seen the house - Who will be the first to visit!?  You've got three years to save up your pennies and MAKE IT HAPPEN!!!  xoxox

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jen, I am so excited you are sharing all of your wonderful adventures with us. I truly enjoy reading all of them! You have such a wonderful gift of writing. Your home is beautiful. I can't wait to see the pictures of you in your beautiful saree! We have a skype account so look up the Cerianis and we will skype you! I am sure the kids will be excited. Love, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had a chance to read your blog for a few days, glad I was able to get back on and catch up. Did you miss me, ha!?

    Love the pictures of the house! It looks awesome. The street looks really amazing with all the Palm trees. I think it is neat you enjoy laundry now, line dried clothes is the way we used to dry our laundry in Kansas (at least during the summers). Was the trampoline from the previous owners or did you guys get that? We would LOVE to come visit you guys (got any extra pennies to spare, hehehehe)! You never know.....

    Glad to hear everyone is doing well and your shipment is making progress closer to you. It will be like Christmas getting all your goodies after waiting so long.

    ReplyDelete