Monday 12 September 2011

9/11 in a different country

A lot of people have been asking what experiencing 9/11/11 in India was like so I figured I'd just make a blog entry out of it.  Obviously, there were no American flags flying but there was non-stop 'media rememberances' playing on television all day.  Overall, I do not feel any danger by living in India as an American.  As a whole, I have found the Indian people to be very kind, patient and gracious people.  They are quick to share a friendly smile and have made us feel very welcome.  It has also been our experience that the Indian people love children.  Quick to pinch a cheek, give a high-five, a hug, a head tap.  They love rubbing the boys heads b/c of their short crewcut type hair styles! 

(A quick side story, David was all upset when we left our favorite restaurant, the Leela Palace, on Sunday afternoon.  One of the waiters that David has been bonding with over the last couple of weeks, came over to David and got down on one knee and held his arms out to him and David just cried into his shoulder.  It was the sweetest thing.  Once David composed himself.  He stood up and gave him a high-five and off we went with a "We'll see you soon!")  Can already see that leaving here will again spring up a world of emotions...the kids especially have already opened their hearts to a lot of people we've come into contact with in just a short time.

The kids have also gotten several requests to have their pictures taken on peoples cell phones (or as they call them here mobile phones)  and you don't text here you send an "SMS" message.  The children's teachers all readily send and accept sms messages about anything you need or want throughout the day pertaining to the children.  I had sent a frantic sms message to David's teacher last week in a tailspin panic b/c I thought I forgot to pack his "swimming costume" and was informing her that I thought Michael might have his in his backpack and David could just borrow it etc.  She responded a short time later with, "No worries.  We do not have swim class until TUESDAY!"  Yep!  Was glad David wouldn't be the only one in his class not swimming but wasn't thrilled that the teacher already knows I can be a bit of an airhead!  (She would have found out sooner or later anyhow, right?!)  

Well, what started out as a blog about 9/11 has gotten a bit sidetracked but in short, I could walk around this city consumed by all sorts of things that could harm me and my family but I could do that in the US too.  I choose to put my trust in God.  Deut. 31:6 says, "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you."  I trust God put us here for a reason & when we have moments of fear or uncertainty (here or in the US) I pray to the Lord and trust that He is looking out for us and with us every moment of everyday.  It may seem goofy but this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJdIn2_pvRk
that the kids learned at VBS (Vacation Bible School) at our church a couple of years ago gets our toes tappin' and helps turn our fears upward and simply reminds us, "God is Always, Always, ALWAYS....I know He's Always Here!"

1 comment:

  1. Such an awesome post Jen! :) Glad to hear that people are reaching out to your family. What great memories each person will have of their adventures in India, not to mention the friendships they will make.

    We all have those days when we forget to send stuff with the kids, I am sure the teacher understands.

    Thankful for a God who is with us no matter where we go. Praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete