Monday 12 September 2011

Zumba Quest!!!

For those of you that don't know it - I have a bit of an exercising obsession with something called Zumba!!!  http://www.zumba.com/  Albeit, my class attendance leading up to our move left something to be desired. :/  When Matt and I started to contemplate making this move, no kidding, one of the first things I did was log onto the zumba website to see if anyone is doing Zumba in Bangalore b/c I didn't know if I'd be able to survived THREE years with no Zumba!

Well, yesterday, I went on a Zumba Quest and I wasn't coming home (meaning the hotel) until I figured out where I could go / when to do Zumba.  Needless to say, it was an adventure (but it seems everything here is - So that wasn't really a surprise).  I contacted an instructor through the Zumba website and she told me where she teaches classes...I was so excited when I actually recognized one of the locations is one of the malls that I know how to get to (again, not surprising that I know how to get to the Mall!)  Hahah!  Anyhow....I literally walked ALL THREE floors of the mall asking anyone that made eye contact with me "Where is Zealer's Dance Studio?!"  Some people simply could not speak English while others had no idea where Zealer's was.  People kept sending me to different floors of the mall.  A couple of people told me 'out in parking'  -  I was like, "WHAT?!  In the parking garage?"  So then my quest from the Mall ventured out into the parking area....Long story shorter version - Sure, enough - On the second floor of the PARKING GARAGE they have set up an indoor dance studio!  Just goes to prove you can Zumba anywhere, right?!

Needless to say, I'm geeked out with excitement!  Have had my Zumba attire on since 6:00 am waiting to go to class at 10:30.  I ran into a little road bump though at about 3:00 pm yesterday after I had been dwelling on how much fun I am going to be having at Zumba on Tuesday - I realized...I have no SNEAKERS!  They are still in our air shipment which we have not been able to get out of customs yet!  WHAT!?!?!?!  I am too far committed in my brain that I'm GOING to Zumba...sneakers or NO sneakers!  So, what did I do - I went to the mall of course and bought some new sneakers.  Did not get the greatest deal on them but I like them.  Nikes.  Grey.  Navy Blue & a cool turquoise sole.  It was all a bit strange for me though.  I'm used to going into somewhere like Kohl's and ripping through the shelves trying on every shoe in every color in my size etc.  Well, here, I was like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman.  Sales people were swirling around me everywhere - Holding up their different wears and "You like this one, Madam?!...."This pair is very smart!"   (Really!?!?!  A smart pair of shoes?  Now that's something!  Hahaha!  They have a lot of funny phrases like that!)  Anyhow.  I only tried on a couple of pairs b/c having some guy at my toes helping me with putting on my shoes made me feel like a five year old and also made me very self conscience of "Hmmm....When did I last shave my legs!  BLAHHH!"

So I walked out with my new Zumba appropriate sneakers thinking. "Boy!  I do look pretty smart in these bad boys!"  Fast forward to the bus stop this morning, as I mentioned I've been all geared up since the break of dawn so I went to the bus stop all Zumbafied....and as I'm waiting with the children my eyes hone in on this, I would say, British boy.  Tall.  Blonde.  Good looking bloke, ya know?  Probably 15 or 16 years old.  I notice his pretty blue eyes and that he's wearing his p.e. uniform (all of the schools in India wear a uniform.  You have a 'formal' uniform that usually consists of a tie, dress shoes, dress shirt and pants or a skirt.)  A p.e. uniform is something they wear on days they will be doing some sort of sport or active type activity.  So he has on his t-shirts and running shorts AND....drum roll please....MY SNEAKERS!!!!!!!  Yes!  The EXACT ONES!  Turquoise sole and all.  What the heck!?!?!?  Now that I think about it when the sales men showed me the size I remember thinking... "Hm.  That's not my size.  Must just be a mismarked item and that's why they are selling them in India."  OH NO!  It wasn't mismarked - That guy sold me MENS SNEAKERS!  I'm tellin ya though - I think the British Boy should be the one feeling foolish.  I may be wearing men's sneakers BUT they are GIRLIE mens sneakers ;)  I know one thing, my husband wouldn't be caught dead wearing them!  Then again, maybe they fed the boy the line about "How smart the shoes were" and he was sold on them too!?  Good sales people, these Indians! :)  Hahahah!!

I will let you all know how my Zumba morning turns out!  Guaranteed I'll be the only white girl there ;0)

Enjoy some of my favorite Zumba You Tube Videos below.  If this whole "going to a class thing" doesn't work out - I'll just be doing these types of vids in my living room!   (Think I can get the hired help to 'shake it' with me!?!?!  HA!)  It won't take them long to figure out I'm another "Wacky Westerner!"


Christal's one of my favorite Zumba instructor's on Youtube!



Bradley also has fun stuff 


I am not as familiar with this gal BUT I love that she refers to herself as Curly Shirley and she's got GREAT energy...and she's a smiler.  Shoot!  If you're not having fun - You've missed the boat man!  ZUMBA IS FUNNNNNNN!!!!!!  I'd take her class in a heartbeat sooooo I dare ya - Get up and try it!   I LOVE THIS SONG!!  You'll be shocked how quickly you're huffin and puffin AND having fun, right!?!?!?

One of my friends from Massachusetts, Melissa, does a version of this song that is sooooo fun!  Who doesn't LOVE the Hokey Pokey!?!?  TRY IT!!! I'm tellin ya - You know you wanna!!!!  This instructor's name is Tara & she's from Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Lastly, a little Indian Fun to end us off   (Please tell me you've all watched "Slumdog Millionaire?!")
Heather Rounds is the Zumba instructor in this video.  She's amazing and representing from Hickory, North Carolina.  I LOVE watching/doing her stuff!
Countdown is on....less than hour and I'll be doing Zumba Indian style!?!?!?!

3 comments:

  1. Your post made my day Jen, love it! I've always wanted to try Zumba it sounds like a lot of fun. Hope your 1st class goes well. You'll have to take a picture of your "smart" new sneakers! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your posts, too! I read them on my lunch break. Keep them coming, girl! Miss you...Cristina

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, how did Zumba go? Love reading your stories. They keep me laughing. How are the kids doing in school? Thought about ya'll this morning.

    Amy Hager

    ReplyDelete