Tuesday 6 September 2011

First Day of School

We left our hotel at 7:30 this morning and we literally walked in the door from school at 5:15 pm!  WOW!  That's what I call one long day!  Michael is falling apart at the seams (so tired) but I think he had an overall good day.  Rachel had a really good day and is tickled she doesn't have any homework until next week.  David loved it.  Erica although she declared it was her "Worst day ever"....I think what it really comes down to is that she was just totally overwhelmed by it all.  I think the whole 'new kid' thing really got to her.  Although it's nice to be the novelty to a certain degree it sounds like the kids were really overbearing and 'annoying'.  I told her to just tell them "I need a little space" and her response was "I don't want to hurt their feelings!"  All in all, I think everybody did fine but they are totally wiped out.  LONG DAYS ahead but I think they will adjust over time and it will just become the norm.  I also keep reminding myself that although the days seem really long compared to US school days.  There is also a huge difference that everything we sign our kids up for after school (karate, swimteam, horseback riding, basketball etc) they incorporate these activities into the school day.  The children are allowed to choose 2 electives to participate in addition to the music and language classes they take. 

Okay, one quick story and then I've got to get the kids to bed.  I was able to sit in on David's class for awhile this afternoon.  They sang a few cute songs.  A couple I knew like "The more we get together" and some I had never heard of before (all of course sung in a lovely Indian accent!)  David's favorite is the "Sticky Sticky Sticky Gum song."  Being the gum fanatic that he is - I think he connects with the song and getting it stuck on places and things that you shouldn't! The children finished off their time together by going around the circle with a pretend microphone and telling everyone their name and where they were born.  (One little girl was born in Minnesota...I love her already!  hahah!)  David was towards the end of the group and he kept getting up and coming over to me and whispering in my ear, "Mom.  Where I was born again?!"  "Massachusetts," I would say.  He must have repeated this scenario at least three times.  When it finally came to his turn to talk he said, "Hi.  My name is David and I was born in Bangalore!!!!"  The teacher's eyeballs about popped out of her head as she shreiked in delight, "BANGALORE?!"  I just shook my head and burst her bubble with, "No.  Massachusetts."  

3 comments:

  1. Glad they all survived! Let's try to chat tomorrow.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's it! I'm coming to India! Those days are so long! Think about all you can get done once you get into your house! Seriously, so happy that they liked it so far. Keep me posted on how Erica does...

    Miss you!
    Cristina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is a long day! The girls are jealous that they get to take horse riding lessons at school! :) The story about David made me smile, love it!!! Glad to hear everyone is adjusting well. The first day of school can be a little overwhelming and being the new kid presents it's own set of challenges. Praying that they make some great friends!

    ReplyDelete