Monday 5 September 2011

Over the River and Through the Woods to Indus School we go!

Today was the kids first trip to the school they will be attending.  Matt and I had been one time previously when we were over to visit and make the school selection.  It seems everything here takes a "Long Time" in fact Erica has asked, "How come everything in India has to be so difficult!?"  (Mind you, her comment was prompted after I told her "No, we are not eating at McDonald's and No, you cannot have a snowcone b/c it was probably made with dooky water!!"

Our driver, Cladius, drove the kids and I to http://www.indusschool.com/ today as I wasn't sure what was going to go down and how long everything would take.  The drive to school took us about an hour :/  (I thought Boston was the only place with bad traffic!?)  Oh, no, India is worse b/c you have everything from cars, auto-rickshaws, walkers, motorcycles (called two-wheelers), bikers, buses, livestock.  Did I mention the honking!?  Good Lord!  Everyone here is "Beep Happy" they are constantly honking their horns!  Unlike Boston though it is not because people are irritated with you - It's more of a beep-beep, I'm on your righthand side - Don't run me over!!!

Anyhow, we were gone for about 3 hours and all we accomplished was getting the kids their p.e. uniforms.  They were measured for their formal school uniforms but those are custom made and won't be ready for 7-10 days.  Children 1st grade and up all wear a uniform so David will wear his normal American clothes to school.  He is NOT happy about this.  He had a major meltdown when he realized this and cried and cried and cried and cried...(you get the idea!) b/c he didn't get a "Costume" like the rest of his siblings! 

The children are currently all watching Disney XD in Hindi!?!?  I don't get it.  I guess you can just watch the picture and generally understand what is going on in the cartoon!?  It's the craziest thing to see them all sitting there watching Hindi cartoons!  Haha!  Meanwhile over the loud speakers the afternoon call to prayer is sounding!  Glad I can pray anytime of the day and call out to God whenever I need Him and don't have to wait for some random horn to sound to indicate it's time to pray.

By the way, thanks to those of you that prayed for the kids today.  They did great.  We go back tomorrow for an actual day of school.  Keep sending up those prayers on our behalf! :)  We appreciate it more than you know!

4 comments:

  1. I am praying for you and you family Jenn! I know this must be so scary but pray God will be especially close to you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if I'll ever stop saying "wow", but... WOW! Still exciting but I definitely see the daunting side. An hour each way to/from school... again, wow. But at least they're all together; that's good. Anyway, LOVE the blog, and WILL always keep you and the family in my DAILY prayers. There, just said one now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, love hearing about your journey! The school sounds awesome even if David doesn't get to wear a "costume"! :) I guess you have to plan a little more time into your schedule for traveling to school or errands. Praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the comment about being able to pray anytime.
    Great blog, Jen

    ReplyDelete