Wednesday 28 September 2011

She is a lovely little lizard!

We've got these lovely little lizards here in Bangalore.  Mostly, I have only seen them when it's starting to get dark outside.  They aren't very big.  Maybe 4 inches or so and a yellowish brown color.  I managed to snap a picture of one at dusk.
From what I've heard, they are completely harmless and eat bugs so as far as I'm concerned they are my new little friend (as long as they keep their distance.)  Go about your business, eat your fill of all the bugs you want - But stay the heck away from me!

My sweet, critter-loving daughter has an entirely different perspective on the lizards.  SHE LOVES THEM!  As in, let's embrace these little boys, home as many as we can as our pets & give them all the love and attention they deserve.  

When I was unpacking some of our boxes the other day, what happened to go scampering across the floor but one of these lizards!  Oh yes, he did.  BUT!  He kept to my rules of "Stay the Heck Away from Me" and he was only an itty-bitty-teensy-weensy-little baby.  So I spared his life.  When Rachel got home I told her, "Guess what I found in the house?!"  "What?!"  "A baby lizard!"  "WHAT?!?!  WHERE"!?  "Well, first off all I saw him up in your room when I was unpacking.  Then I saw him down here in the living room."  At which point she started to look around and with a very serious and solemn tone about her she said, "How do you think he got in here?!"  "Well, it was probably b/c you kids keep leaving the door open and all sorts of things could come in and live with us if you don't shut the door behind you when you come in." "Oh, right!  Mom, hurry up and close that door so he doesn't get out!"  

OH DEAR!  I told you we aren't on the same page.  She thinks we should keep the door shut so the lizard doesn't escape back into the WILD where he belongs.    It's been several days since I last spotted our "indoor lizard" UNTIL this morning!  Rachel was ecstatic when SHE found him today!
Yep, look carefully in crack of the stair step in our living room - That's our baby lizard!

Rachel got right down and started talking to him (I think she might be a distant
relative to Dr. Doolittle or something?!)


Of course the questions was, "Mom, can we keep him!?"  At this point, he's little enough that it doesn't freak me out.  I've seen bugs bigger than this lizard but I tell ya what - If he wants to co-habitate with this Lady, he better understand - IF he ever lands on me, runs across my foot or makes any physical contact of ANY TYPE - He is OUT OF HERE!  For now - Welcome to the Family! ;0)

2 comments:

  1. Jen, this is so awesome!!! I love the pics!! And you are so great at writing...what a wonderful way for me to avoid laundry! LOVE YOU!!!! xoxox to kids!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel has such a heart for animals, even the tiny little ones. What a great picture of her looking at the baby lizard.

    I wouldn't want it crawling over my foot either (((shiver))). Just think you have officially adopted your first Bangalore "pet"! :)

    Have the kids named the lizard yet?

    ReplyDelete